What can I do about false timesheets?

My employer makes me put no more than 40 a week on my timesheet, even though I work more. I work from 7:45-5 without any breaks. I am made to put an hour break on my timesheet. If the time sheets are not written as instructed, they are not approved. Thank you, please help me.

Posted 04-12-2014

Ann Kiernan replies:

What you are describing is wage theft and it’s illegal! You should contact the federal Wage and Hour Division at 1-866-487-9243 or visit www.wagehour.dol.gov. You will be directed to the nearest WHD office for assistance. There are over 200 WHD offices throughout the country with trained professionals to help you. All services are free and confidential, and your employer cannot terminate you or in any other manner discriminate against you for filing a complaint with WHD.

I wish you the best of luck.

Information here is correct at the time it is posted. Case decisions cited here may be reversed. Please do not rely on this information without consulting an attorney first.


About the Author:

Ann Kiernan has litigated claims of wrongful discharge and discrimination before state and federal courts and administrative matters before the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights, the National Labor Relations Board and the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission, representing both employers and employees. Ms. Kiernan co-hosted The Employee Rights Forum, a weekly radio call-in show reaching up to a half-million listeners in the New York metropolitan area, and her articles on employment law have been published in many books and magazines. Both as a firm partner and as a director, Ms. Kiernan gained solid experience in management and human resources compliance. She has worked with Fair Measures since 1997.