How do I access my personnel file?

Do I need a lawyer to see my personnel file, or is there some type of form that I need to access it?

Posted  12-09-2014

Steve Duggan replies:

No, you don’t need a lawyer. Simply tell your HR representative or partner that you would like to view a copy of your file. You may however be required to present your request in writing in advance. All state laws require the employer to allow employees to review the file, with reasonable advance notice, for as long as up to three years after employment terminates.

Information here is correct at the time it is posted. Case decisions cited here may be reversed. Please do not rely on this information without consulting an attorney first.


About the Author:

Steve Duggan graduated from the Law School at the University of Notre Dame while on active duty in the Air Force. He has extensive experience representing management litigating cases of wrongful termination, employment discrimination, and sexual harassment. Steve also has experience in all phases of administrative litigation of unfair labor practice charges, and class and individual complaints of employment discrimination. He has been an instructor of seminars for supervisors and managers on labor management relations and other personnel issues, and for lawyers in basic and advanced trial advocacy courses. Steve came on board with Fair Measures in 1998.