What can we do about an accountant who won’t turn over company checks?

Our accountant has been terminated. We discovered that for the 2 months prior to termination she put her personal PO Box on invoices and is now holding company checks hostage (in return for personal/expense reimbursements which have yet to be substantiated with receipts). What recourse do we have?

Posted 07-02-2014

Ann Kiernan replies:

Call the cops! This is embezzlement. You also might want to call the local postal inspector, since this is mail fraud, too. Good luck.

Information here is correct at the time it is posted. Case decisions cited here may be reversed. Please do not rely on this information without consulting an attorney first.


About the Author:

Ann Kiernan has litigated claims of wrongful discharge and discrimination before state and federal courts and administrative matters before the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights, the National Labor Relations Board and the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission, representing both employers and employees. Ms. Kiernan co-hosted The Employee Rights Forum, a weekly radio call-in show reaching up to a half-million listeners in the New York metropolitan area, and her articles on employment law have been published in many books and magazines. Both as a firm partner and as a director, Ms. Kiernan gained solid experience in management and human resources compliance. She has worked with Fair Measures since 1997.