I have worked for a small private company for the last 10 years. My boss now wants to transfer me to another company, not related to his, to be an independent contractor. He expects me to perform the same duties and to still work at his place, but I will have to be paid by another company as an independent contractor without benefits. Is this legal or should I contact a lawyer about it? Thank you.

Posted  12-08-2010

Ann Kiernan replies:

Sure sounds to me like an attempt to evade state and federal laws on payroll taxes, workers’ compensation, and unemployment insurance. If you do not know a local employment lawyer to consult, you could contact your county or state bar association for a referral, or look up your state chapter of the National Employment Lawyers Association at nela.org.

Good luck.


Information here is correct at the time it is posted. Case decisions cited here may be reversed. Please do not rely on this information without consulting an attorney first.